Re: Lisp considered unfinished

>: >:  "The LISP environment is really getting out of date as a viable system
>: >:  environment.  Let us not pursue this line of research any more."

That does seem like a rather outrageous statement. Was there any indication
as to why LISP is not supposed to be a viable system environment ? What
environment is proposed as so much better ? The hacked-up C++ ??? Or what ?

>:   * MCL was abandoned for 2 years before being revived

This is due to internal Apple politics. They have now set their cards on
Dylan (for whatever reasons), so why should they care any more about MCL ?
This does not mean that Common LISP is no good, but that Apple wants its
own proprietary language for marketing reasons.

>:   * CMUCL was abandoned, and the people are working on Dylan

But it is sad to hear that people are shifting to Dylan. I suppose that
many people need to constantly pursue something brand new, to get a feeling
of ongoing progress. Using an environment that has a long track record of
high utility just does not seem to be good enough ... It has to be
different and redone from scratch every few years!  :-)

Greetings
Markus Krummenacker