Re: Lisp considered unfinished

>1) Lisp as a viable system development platform. A subset of CLOS
>that can be implemented with small memory requirements, compiles just as
>efficiently as C, yet retains more value than C or C++ in terms of
>productivity and built-in language constructs.  This could be very
>attractive to current systems developers.  It might even resemble
>Lisp 1.5 ;)

I think full CLOS is needed at least for some systems. We are implementing
a commercial system in MCL with CLOS with no real problem. It's a little big,
but not any bigger than MS Word :-), and the first version is almost done.
So far, we have had no problems with speed. When programmed well, I think
commercial systems can be produced in MCL with CLOS just fine.

We decided against C++ specifically because it is not fully object oriented,
and is not equivelent to Lisp in this respect.

I think the biggest problem Lisp Might have getting into the commercial
developers' market is just that it is a little different and takes some
getting used to. People just need to be made aware that of its power.

				-- Chris.