Auto-redraw-window

I was trying to create a window that stores its contents (all drawing
commands to it) in a picture and then redraws itself with draw-picture in
its view-redraw-contents method.  The problem is that the picture grows
everytime the window is switched to the foreground. i.e. my drawing
commands aren't the only ones getting stored in the picture.  I assume that
there are some quickdraw commands issued to the window when it comes to the
foreground or perhaps when it goes to the background.  Does anyone know
what these are?

Thanks yet again.