specializing CELL-SELECT in sequence dialog items

At  7:54 AM 6/28/93 +0000, Matthew Haines wrote:
>I'm trying to specialize the cell-select and cell-deselect methods
>of the sequence-dialog-item.  It seems to me that the following code
>should print the coordinates when a cell is clicked on.  Unfortunately,
>it does not.
>
>(defclass test-sequence-item (sequence-dialog-item)
>  ())
>
>(defmethod cell-select ((item test-sequence-item) h &optional v)
>  (call-next-method)
>  (format t "~S,~S~%" h v))
>
>(defvar w)
>
>(setq w (make-instance 'window
>          :view-subviews
>          (list
>           (make-instance 'test-sequence-item
>             :table-sequence '(0 1 2 3 4 5)))))
>
>Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Other people have been similarly confused about this particular behavior
of TABLE-DIALOG-ITEM instances. The VIEW-CLICK-EVENT-HANDLER for
TABLE-DIALOG-ITEM simply calls #_LClick, which does all the work.
The only notification MCL gets is a call back notifying it to change
the highlighting of one or more table cells. Neither CELL-SELECT
nor CELL-DESELECT is ever called. One way I can think of to notice
when cells are selected with the mouse would be an :around method on
VIEW-CLICK-EVENT-HANDLER that calls SELECTED-CELLS before an after
CALL-NEXT-METHOD and compares the two results.