find-package function

I have used the FIND_PACKAGE function to find out if a package exists on
Symbolics Lisp machines.  AKCL Version 1.112 Mon Apr 17, 1989 does not do
what I expect.  When I use:

(FIND-PACKAGE "FOO")

I get dumped into the debugger if package "FOO" does not exist.  Page 183
of Guy Steele's book indicates that the function should return nil if the
package does not exist.  I think that FIND-PACKAGE should not fall into the
debugger if the package does not exist.  Is this correct?

USPS: Mac Michaels,   3500 W.Balcones Center Dr.,   Austin,TX 78759
ARPA: mac@mcc.com
UUCP: {uunet,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!mac