[no subject]

    Date: 17 August 1980 23:10-EDT
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK at MIT-MC>

    Because when I look at code and see "<", I think "Aha, fixnums are
    being compared", and when I see "CHAR-<" I think "Aha, characters
    are being compared.

While I agree with the objections you raised in your most recent message, I
disagree with this one.  (> NEXT-CHAR #/A) makes it fairly clear that
characters are being compared, just as (> ITEM-COUNT ITEM-LIMIT) makes it
clear that integral quantities are being dealt with.  Granted this is an
informal convention, but if type information is present in the operand
names, it shouldn't be necessary in the operator names as well.