Re: #\EOF

    Date: 26 September 1980 23:08-EDT
    From: David A. Moon <MOON at MIT-MC>
    Subject: #\EOF ... Yes, again.
    To: KMP at MIT-MC, LISP-FORUM at MIT-MC

    What are you going to do about the fact that TYI returns -1 at EOF but
    other functions return other things?  For example, READ returns what you
    tell it to and (on the Lisp machine) the :TYI stream operation returns
    NIL at EOF.

What are you going to do about the fact that TYI returns #o50 at (FOO) but
other functions return other things? For example, READ returns (FOO) and
                         *
READLINE returns |(FOO)|.

The :TYI operation is documented to return () iff the end-of-file value
requested is not given or is (). I would like a fixnum value that I can
feed as the end-of-file value which is not in the character set. I hope
that :TYI will not force a () on me if I specify the 2nd arg to that
operation.
-kmp

* = Sarcasm [labelled for those that miss the point sometimes]