[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Once again a plea for slash
- To: Guy.Steele at CMU-10A
- Subject: Re: Once again a plea for slash
- From: Deutsch at PARC-MAXC
- Date: Mon ,22 Dec 80 14:26:00 EDT
- Cc: lisp-forum at MIT-MC, Scott.Fahlman at CMU-10A, GJS at MIT-AI, rwg at SU-AI, Fateman at Berkeley
1) I agree with your sentiments about / vs. \ as the escape character.
Interlisp has used % for a long time with no ill effects. Smalltalk
is about to use $.
2) Hurrah for "correct division". Smalltalk is just about to bite the
bullet and implement two division operations:
/ will produce an arithmetically correct result, an Integer if
possible, a Rational (if both operands are Integers or Rationals) or
Float if not.
div: will produce an integer result truncated towards zero (or
minus infinity, I forget which), regardless of the types of its