Re: Slash: confusing the issue

    Date: 24 December 1980 15:25-EST
    From: Daniel L. Weinreb <dlw at MIT-AI>

    (3) Howard, it should not be necessary to have a switch to revert
    / to run old code, since all old code calls "//", which will
    retain its old meaning.  (I guess you DO have to recompile things
    in the new readtable.)

If I have code that reads: "/"foobar /" he said", then even though the
// function exists, this code won't work.  In other words, what I
meant was that I might have interpreted code that had lots of
slashes...this suggestion was just the obvious
thing: that in the first system with / turned off, there be a function to
turn it on.