backquote query

I'm not sure what your problem with BACKQUOTE is, so I'll try to touch
all the bases.  Some of this may be obvious.

Are you clear on what they mean?  The meaning of `(FOO ,BAR) is to
perform the same as (LIST 'FOO BAR).  Exactly what code is generated
is not material.  You don't want to cons up a backquote expression in
a macro-defining macro.  You want to cons up a piece of code which
produces a list of a specific form.  For this, you use nested backquotes.
For example:

(DEFMACRO DEF-NIL-CALLER (NAME SIZE)
  `(DEFMACRO ,NAME (FUN)
     `(,FUN ,@(MAKE-LIST ,SIZE))))