InterLISP Macros

Indeed, my inspection of the manual was too cursory; MACROTRAN is
what I was looking for but failed to find.  This is in the 1978 manual
but not in the 1975 manual.  Footnote 44 does explain that the expansion
is done only once, through use of CLISPTRAN.  This (page 23.57) appears
to be the rough equivalent of the MacLISP DISPLACE, and will either use
a hash table or replace the macro call with a form (CLISP%_ new . old),
similar in effect to the DISPLACED form of MacLISP; the editor and
prettyprinter know about CLISP%_ specially and elide it.  MACROTRAN
does not work if DWIM is not enabled.
--Guy