LABELS

    Date: 18 June 1981 05:44-EDT
    From: Richard M. Stallman <RMS at MIT-AI>
    Subject: Binding functions vs packages.
    To: LISP-FORUM at MIT-AI

    The use of syntactically nested functions is very bad for
    extensibility.  If I have FOO which calls BAR, and BAR is defined
    separately, I can redefine either one separately.
    If FOO contains a LABELS which defines BAR, then I cannot redefine
    just one of them without redefining the other (trivially).
I would assume that the name of the function defined in the labels
for purposes of the outside world would be (:INTERNAL FOO BAR) rather
than BAR, and redefining that name would work.