[no subject]

    Date:  1 May 1981 1845-EDT
    From: David L. Andre <DLA at MIT-EECS>

    Actually, the more I think about it, a syntax such as
    (OPENF "FOO" ':MODE ':READ ...) *would* be awful convenient
    in a lot of places...

I would also like to see OPENF created rather than the syntax of OPEN
changed, for name symmetry with the rest of the file operations.  Should
CLOSEF also be created?  (Actually, I would rather see the names OPEN-FILE,
PROBE-FILE, DELETE-FILE, etc used.)  Names like OPEN should be left for new
users writing small programs, so they won't get blown out of the water by
redefining a short and simple name which happens to be used by the system.
OPEN just isn't used as frequently as IF, DO, or SETQ to warrant a four or
five letter name.