INTERLISP comments

I have encountered a peculiar feature (bug ?) in interlisp regarding
comments loaded from files when NORMALCOMMENTSFLG is NIL.

It appears that  comments which begin with some special characters are
not loaded as comment pointers (ie. their full text is loaded) even though
NORMALCOMMENTSFLG is NIL.  This can be demonstrated using the file
<WHITE>COMTEST.  The variable SCHARS in this file is a list of all the
characters which defeat the setting of NORMALCOMMETSFLG.

Please let me know what is going on here.  I really would like to have
all my comments loaded as comment pointers.
Bill
-------