Re: Slot-definition-location

   Date: Tue, 22 May 90 15:14:24 +0100
   From: jac%computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK

   >From Richard Barber, Procyon Research Ltd, Cambridge, UK

   In the section in MOP draft number 10, 'readers for slot
   definition objects', slot-definition-location is specified
   as having a single argument, an effective-slot-definition.

   I would like to see this generic function have 2 arguments
   (in order to give implementors more flexibility in how they
   implement slot-definitions in a class). The first argument
   to the function should be an effective-slot-definition as
   before, and the second the class in which the
   effective-slot-definition occurs.

It makes sense for me to answer this comment about the old draft now
because I hope to send out the function pages including the slot
inheritance protocol later today.  These pages won't include
slot-definition-location, but will include compute-slots and
compute-effective-slot-definition.

I don't think the change you propose is needed because effective slot
definitions are already computed for one class only.  That is, the
effective slot definition represents the information about the slot
as it appears in a particular class.  So, the extra information you
propose adding to the call to this accessor can already be in the
effective slot definition object.