[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Notes from 4/3 meeting
Drafting Committee meeting notes, 4/3/89, 10:30-12:30, Thinking Machines
Attendees: Masinter, Moon, GLS, Chapman
1. Complete review/rewrite by this committee by 6/26 meeting.
2. Mail a ready-for-review draft to ISO delegations by 7/14/89
(deliver in person to French delegation to enjoy quatorze juillet??).
3. Make parts of the standard available to X3J13 as they become
reviewed/rewritten. Perhaps these will be letter ballots, or just
4. Make complete standard available to X3J13 for review after 6/26
meeting. Accept and respond to comments until the November meeting.
5. Review this plan by 4/14/89.
About the standard:
1. Suggestion to can the Side Effects section. No significant disagreement.
2. Suggestion to move from section 2.2 (types) anything that has to do
with external representation to appropriate sections (3.1, 3.2, or
description of write function). No disagreement.
3. Suggestion to move processing rules from section 2.2 to a separate section.
Seems reasonable to move them to section 6.1 (Introduction to Catalog
of Defined Names) under a special subsection heading ("Rules") and
special subsubsection headings, one for each type.
4. After all the Jan and March issues are included, a guess will be made
as to which issues will pass in June, and those issues will be included.
Anyone wishing to make a stab at that list now is more than welcome. Otherwise
that list will be coming to you for review in about 3 weeks.
5. See the editorial committee report for other changes that have been
or will be made to the standard.
1. New draft of the standard was moved to hudson.dec.com today. It is the latest
version but with only editorial changes since March meeting (only editorial
issues and proposals included).
2. The subject of a mailing list was brought up and rejected, but RPG
had already set one up. Would you prefer I list your names, or is the
mailing list okay?
3. I will send you copies of what you need as they are finished and as
Who How What
RPG Mail Source files and a build file.
Masinter Mail+FTP List of source files and build files.
Moon Mail+FTP+USMail Source files, hardcopy
GLS USMail Hardcopy
4. I will send the sections that are ready now while we are reviewing this
plan. If there are changes, I will remail to the proper person.
5. The original plan for this group had people working together
on certain sections. I have not listed pairings here and will wait
for you to ask me to work out those details. If you intend to change
a section that someone else has completed, please copy the person
whose section you're changing and me on the changes.
6. I won't be making changes to source files while you have them.
Chapter 1. Introduction
1.1 Scope, Purpose, and Application RPG 6/14/89
1.2 Organization of the Document Done
1.3 Referenced Publications Done
1.4 Definitions Done
1.5 Compliance KC 5/1/89
1.6 Language Extensions KC 5/1/89
Chapter 2. Objects and Types 4/1/89 4/14/89
2.1 Introduction Done
2.2 Types Moon 5/1/89
2.3 Classes Done
2.4 Slots Done
2.5 Objects Done
Chapter 3. Object Syntax
3.1 Character Reader RPG 5/1/89
3.2 Object Syntax RPG 5/1/89
Chapter 4. Evaluation and Compilation
4.1 Evaluation Model Moon 5/14/89
4.2 Compilation RPG 6/14/89
Chapter 5. Other Topics
5.1 Errors RPG 5/14/89
5.2 Input/Output Masinter 5/1/89
5.3 Interface with the Programming Environment Masinter 5/1/89
5.4 Generalized Reference Masinter 5/1/89
Chapters 6 and 7. Catalog of Defined Names
6.1 Introduction RPG 5/1/89
The following list contains the names of groups of functions as they
appear in CLtL, CLOS, and the Condition System documents. For example,
Masinter is to review/rewrite the functions in Chapter 15 (Lists) of
CLtL by 5/1/89.
CLOS RPG 5/1/89
PREDICATES Masinter 5/1/89
STRINGS Masinter 5/1/89
SEQUENCES Masinter 5/1/89
LISTS Masinter 5/1/89
NUMBERS Masinter 5/1/89
STRUCTURES GLS 5/14/89
SYMBOLS GLS 5/14/89
HASH-TABLES GLS 5/14/89
ARRAYS GLS 5/14/89
TYPES GLS 5/14/89
DECLARATIONS GLS 5/14/89
IO Masinter 6/14/89
STREAMS Masinter 6/14/89
FILE Masinter 6/14/89
CONTROL Masinter 6/14/89
PROGRAM Masinter 6/14/89
MISC Masinter 6/14/89
ERRORS RPG 6/14/89
MACROS Moon 6/14/89
PACKAGES Moon 6/14/89
CHARACTERS Moon 6/14/89
EVALUATOR Moon 6/14/89
Glossary RPG 5/1/89
RPG: 1.1, 3.1, 3.2, 4.2, 6.1, 5.1, CLOS, Errors, Glossary
Masinter: 5.2, 5.3, 5.4,
PREDICATES, STRINGS, SEQUENCES, LISTS, NUMBERS, IO, STREAMS,
FILE SYSTEM INTERFACE, CONTROL STRUCTURE, PROGRAM STRUCTURE,
Moon: 2.2, 4.1, MACROS, PACKAGES, CHARACTERS, EVALUATOR
GLS: STRUCTURES, SYMBOLS, HASH-TABLES, ARRAYS, TYPES, DECLARATIONS
Sections that are ready now: 1.1, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, CLOS.
It is not felt that these sections will change much as a result
of issues that haven't been included.
Note that 5.2-5.4 "passed" at the meeting, but Larry and others still
feel there is work to be done on them.
Other sections will be ready when the issues and proposals passed in
Jan and March have been completely included.
Thanks in advance for your time.