glossary description of `generic function'

I see your point, and I agree with your concern. Part of my problem,
perhaps, was the harsh and unmotivated transition from a generic
function as a function to a generic function as a container. How
about something like...

 generic function - a <function> whose behavior depends on the <classes>
   or <identities> of the arguments supplied to it.  Unlike an ordinary
   state that can be examined and modified without actually invoking the
   functional component. This state includes, among other things, a set
   of <methods>, a <lambda list>, and a method combination type.