Tim

From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA> on Wed 11 Jun 1986 at 12:00
To:   ai-ed-outgoing@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subj: 1:8 Scheme; AI-ED questionnaire

AI-ED Digest          Tuesday, 10 June 1986       Volume 1 : Issue 8

Today's Topics: Scheme, anyone?
		AI and Education questionnaire

Date: Tue 10 Jun 86 08:29:38-PDT
From: Mark Richer <RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Scheme, anyone?

I have been asked to give advice regarding the appropriateness of using
Scheme for a development effort in Intelligent Computer Assisted Instruction.
Although this is partly a research effort also, a clear goal is testing
and installing the software in high school classrooms.  The hardware available
to this project is HP workstations.

Admittedly I know little about Scheme.  However, my initial reaction is that
no advantages Scheme could provide over CommonLisp could offset the
disadvantages of using a language without a large user base for the
purposes of software development and installation.  CommonLisp
promises to offer portability (of course there are still problems, e.g.,
graphics) and a large user community, and has other obvious advantages
because of the general acceptance of Lisp in the U.S. AI community.

I'd appreciate some feedback from people that are familiar with Scheme,
particularly if you have used it for developing a large AI-based system.
Can any argument be presented to justify the resources necessary to train
people in Scheme and build and maintain a system in this UnCommonLispLike
language? In other words, what is so special about Scheme compared to
CommonLisp?

Mark

... rest of digest deleted ...