Re: How can you do things like ?X -> (*var* x) without Read Macros ?

You preprocess the input from the user, checking each symbol for a
first-character of "?" and transforming all such uses into the list you
mentioned.  Alternatively, you write a parser/scanner for your input language
that has nothing to do with the Scheme function READ.

I prefer the latter idea myself.  To my mind, READ's only legitimate purpose is
the reading of real Scheme programs and data.

	Pavel