Compiler analysis

In order to yield better performance for my parallelization system, I am trying
to derive an algorithm for ddetermining which calls to cons, make-vector, etc.
generate objects which are guaranteed not to be mutated anywhere in a program.
Any ideas on this subject or references to related literature would be greatly
appreciated.  It seems that this poroblem is much more difficult than one might
suspect.  It gets even worse if one wants to do things like determine that the
objects returned by recursive calls of a procedure are immutable, but those
returned to the original call are mutable.  This form of analysis seems
necessary if one wants to actually identify a significant number of sites where
immutable objects are created.

Thanks in advance for the help,
					Morry Katz
					katz@polya.stanford.edu