Re: Scheme book by Springer and Friedman

In article <19891215071609.2.VANMEULE@PERTA.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
vanMeule@ALLEGHENY.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Andre van Meulebrouck) writes:
[Lots o' stuff about Scheme and the Art of Programming removed]

First, a message for Andre':

Hey!  So THAT'S where you disappeared to! :-)

Now, back to the subject at hand:

Dan Friedman was kind enough to send me a copy of his (co-authored) new
book, and I am very pleased with it.  I think it would be perfectly fine
for bright high-school students, especially if the students are NOT
carrying around a lot of preconceived baggage from BASIC/Pascal/C when
they get into this.  They'll have less to unlearn that way.

I'm with Andre'; I particularly appreciated the in-depth discussion of
continuations (two chapters that Dan Friedman called "a labor of love,"
and it shows).  Like many texts, the books is a tad short on example
applications of the methodologies, but that is really my only criticism,
and it's intended to be a mild one (Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs has lots of examples of application; I think between
these two texts, you've got an EXTREMELY good computer science course with
an emphasis on Scheme).

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.