Re: "unspecified" and SET!

In article <81872@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> gateley@m2.UUCP (John Gateley) writes:
>Do you mean Matthias Felleisen's calculus for Scheme? It is neither a
>calculus of unspecified values nor silly. It is a better theoretical
>basis for Scheme than the lambda value calculus: it includes both
>set! style side effects and continuations in its equations.

To clarify, let me say emphatically that I *don't* mean Felleisen's
calculus. As John says, Felleisen's work is not at all silly. I was
instead referring to the proposals for #!unspecified, which, is either
the same as `bottom' in denotational semantics or it is not. In the
former case, #!unspecified should be returned, also, in both a
division by 0 and a non-terminating recursion. In the latter case,
#!unspecified is somewhat pointless (set! could just as easily return
`()), unless one has some reason for distinguishing the two.

While I do not care for William of Ockham's metaphysics, there is much
to say for his Razor.

____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
____ \  ____  Department of Computer Science   | manis%cs.ubc@relay.cs.net
___  /\  ___  University of British Columbia   | uunet!ubc-cs!manis
__  /  \  __  Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5    | (604) 228-2394
_  / __ \  _  "Theoretical computer science helps me convince people that
____________  my indecisiveness is really Nondeterminism, which sounds like
              a much more positive characteristic." -- a student