OOPSLA GC Workshop Talks and Format

The approximate format for the GC91 workshop is:

A few people have been selected to give 20 minute talks.  Everyone
else gets a 10-minute slot (roughly 8 minutes for the basic talk and
2 minutes for Q and A).

If anyone would rather not present their paper, for whatever
reason---perhaps the short notice, or a topic that's too "big"
for a short talk---please let me know;  I'm sure others could
use the time.

There will also be a one-hour session on accurate and conservative
garbage collection, consisting of short presentations and a panel
discussion, featuring Hans Boehm, Joel Bartlett, Eliot Moss, and
one other person (possibly me).

Henry Baker will give a 20-minute talk on his non-copying real-time
garbage collection algorithm and on cache-conscious copying collection.

Peter Dickman will give a 20-minute overview of issues in distributed
garbage collection, after which Daniel Plainfosse' will give a 20-minute
presentation of his position paper.

Over the next few days, I would appreciate it if people would send
electronic copies of the final versions of their papers in LaTeX or
PostScript, if possible, to make them available for anonymous ftp.

It would also be nice to get a roughly five-sentence abstract of
each paper, in plain ASCII text.

Papers and abstracts can be deposited (or retrieved) directly by ftp'ing
to cs.utexas.edu and cd'ing to the directory ~/pub/garbage/GC91.  Please
name the file by the last name of the first author, plus a suffix of .tex
or .ps for LaTeX and PostScript, respectively, or .abs for the plain-text
abstract.  For .tex files, I'll create a PostScript version as well.
(I'll deposit those papers I already have in electronic form, unless I
get a new version within a couple of days, or the authors tell me they
don't want them deposited.)

In a few days, I'll compile a file of abstracts and circulate it.
I strongly encourage people to look over the list of talks, and
have a look at the papers most relevant to their own papers' topics.

In picking a presentation order, I will attempt to group papers
by topics.  If the participants can cooperate by discussing their
presentations with other participants of related papers, we can
ensure that the basic material gets covered without too much
redundancy.  The list below gives email addresses of most of the
participants.

Participants are encouraged to give others some of their time if
they just want to say something pithy, or to combine multiple papers
into one longer presentation, etc; this may be attractive for people
dealing with aspects of the same topic or the same research project.
(Just make sure the result is not more total time.)

         -- Paul

P.S. Note that my current address is wilson@cs.utexas.edu.  I'm still
getting some mail at bert.eecs.uic.edu, but that account is going to
go away very soon.

Here's the list of position papers to be presented, in no particular
order:

Wolfgang Keuchlin and Nicholas Nevin
"On Multi-Threaded List-Processing and Garbage Collection"
keuchlin@cis.ohio-state.edu

Henry Baker, "Cache-Conscious Copying Collection,"
(818) 501-4956

Rick Hudson, "Finalization in a Garbage-Collected World"
hudson@cs.umass.edu

Rob McLachlan, "A System Model of Memory Management"
Rob.MacLaclan@cs.cmu.edu

Daniel Plainfosse'
"Distributed Garbage Collection as an Operating System Component"
dp@corto.inria.fr

Paulo Jorge Pires Ferriera
"Garbage Collection in C++"
pjpf@sabrina.inesc.pt

Alan Durham and Ralph Johnson
"Standardizing Memory Management Descriptions"
durham@cs.uiuc.edu

Tony Hosking
"Main Memory Management for Persistence"
hosking@cs.umass.edu

Amer Diwan
"Stack Tracing in a Statically Typed Language"
diwan@cs.umass.edu

Stephen C. Crawley
"Local and Global Distributed Garbage Collection"
sxc@itd.dsto.oz.au

P.T. Withington
"How Real is 'Real-Time' Garbage Collection?"
ptw@Jasper.SCRC.Symbolics.COM

Urs Hoelzle
"The Myth of High Object Allocation Rates"
urs@self.stanford.edu

Dave Ungar and Frank Jackson
"Outwitting GC Devils: a Hybrid Incremental Garbage Collector"
David.Ungar@sun.com

Frank Jackson
"Garbage Collection Bugs I Have Known"
Jackson@parcplace.com

Eliot Moss
"The UMass Language-Independent Garbage Collection Toolkit"
moss@cs.umass.edu

Kelvin Nilsen
"A High-Performance Architecture for Real-Time Garbage Collection"
kelvin@cs.iastate.edu

Shinichi Furusou, Satoshi Matsuoka, and Akinori Yonezawa
"Parallel Conservative Garbage Collection With Fast Object Allocation"
furuso@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
yonezawa@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Kazushi Kuse and Tsutomu Kamimura
"Portable Generational Garbage Collection for C-based Object-Oriented
Languages"
kuse@trl.ibm.co.jp

Craig Chambers
"Cost of Garbage Collection in the Self System"
chambers@cs.washington.edu

Douglas Johnson
"Comparing Two Garbage Collectors"
johnson@ti.com

Vince Russo
"Garbage Collecting an Object-Oriented Operating System Kernel"
russo@cs.purdue.edu

Masahiro Yasugi and Akinori Yonezawa
"Towards User (Application) Language-Level Garbage Collection in
Object-Oriented Concurrent Languages"
matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Steven L. Engelstad and Jim E. Vandendorpe
"Automatic Storage Management for Systems with Real-Time Constraints"
marv1@iexist.att.com