SCS-Today

DISTINGUISHED LECTURE WEDNESDAY - NO JOKE!...Our next SCS Distinguished
Lecturer, David A. Patterson, Professor and Chair, Computer Science Division,
University of California, Berkeley, will discuss "TERABYTES>>TERAFLOPS Or why
work on processors when I/O is where the action is?" on Wednesday, April 1 at
3:30 pm in Wean Hall 7500.  Refreshments will be served at 3:15 pm.

HEAR THE CANDIDATES...Our faculty candidates this week will include Frans
Kaashoek, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, discussing "Group Communication in
Distributed Systems", on Monday, March 30 at 3:30 pm in Wean 5409.
On Tuesday, March 31, Steve Scott, University of Wisconsin, will present
"Pipelined-Channel Interconnection Networks: Toward the Design of Efficient,
Large-Scale Multiprocessors", at 10:30 am in Wean 4623.

DEFENSE TACTICS...We are pleased to announce two thesis defenses this week.
Angelika Zobel reviews "Program Structure as a Basis for the Parallelization
of Global Compiler Optimizations on Friday, March 3 at 10:00 am in Wean 5409.
Kenneth McMillan will discuss "Symbolic Model Checking: An approach to the
state explosion problem" on March 3 at 3:30 pm in Wean 4623.

LIBRARY RECORDS AND CONFIDENTIALITY...The Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility (CPSR) Discussion Group will meet Wednesday, April 1 at 7:00 pm
in Wean 8220.  The reading for discussion, "A More Cooperative Clerk: The
Confidentiality of Library Records "discusses the "origins and current levels
of protection of confidentiality in library records."  Copies of the paper
can be obtained from Susan Finger (PH123B) or Rod Nord (WeH 8101) prior to
the meeting.

LIST YOURSELF AMONG THE EMPLOYED...Or at least see what opportunities for
permanent and summer positions await you in industry.  Tom Murphy from SIEMENS
Corporate Research will visit Thursday, April 2.  He will discuss current
research activities at SIEMENS from 1:30 to 2:30 pm in Wean 4625 and is
available to meet with students.  Avie Tevanian from NeXT Computers Inc. will
meet with graduate students to discuss career options on Friday, April 3.
Norm Delisle from Tektronix, Inc. can meet with students from April 1-3. See
postings on cmu.cs.jobs for details.

POWER FAILURE...Due to the March 30 system failure, you may receive this
newsletter twice.  Please pardon any duplication.