Re: CPU to console cable question

   On advice from Paul Martin at SRI we've had good luck extending
the length of the Symbolics cables by splicing in coax and 4
twisted pair.  The better the coax, the longer you can go.  RJ-6
should do fine for 500ft.  Putting the connectors on the cable
(regular barrels and RS232 are what we used) isn't hard, and can make
life much easier when you have to move.  Symbolics also sells a box
that interfaces the Hirose connectors to a 9-pin and coax connector
that you can mount in a wall for around $100 each.  Then you have to
have TWO console cables, though, as well as coax and twisted pair to
connect the boxes.

	-- Rich Acuff
	   Stanford KSL
-------