Zeta-C

We have it. But, we haven't used it extensively. Originally we thought
it would be more useful than perhaps it turned out to be: a lot of C
programs really do depend on sitting on top of UNIX. At any rate, a
couple projects that we originally bought it for we ended up doing in
lisp after all, deciding that would be easier to maintain on the
symbolics. (example: ruptime, rwho-daemon, etc. - UNIX communication
tools).

Also, have found that some problems (may just be our version 1.1 I
think) require a real guru to figure out. Like why it complains about
NIL being redefined, etc. when you compile code in the editor.

More may not be fair for me to say: I have used it very little myself.
It does seem to be a complete implementation of 'C' including typical
library functions, such as 'printf'. It compiles the code into lisp
forms.

On the plus side, there is a C listener, the editor gets patches to know
about C, the usual <suspend> in the editor gives a C listener.

Only real complaint I can make is that debugging has to be done in lisp,
not C.

Brad Miller
University of Rochester
miller@rochester.arpa