Submission for slug-info

From: daemon@potomac
Newsgroups: slug-info
Subject: Submission for slug-info
Date: 21 Jan 87 03:40:14 GMT
Sender: daemon@potomac.dc.ads.com

From: daemon@potomac
Newsgroups: slug-info
Date: 20 Jan 87 21:54:55 GMT
Sender: daemon@potomac.dc.ads.com

From: David Vinayak Wallace <GUMBY@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>
Newsgroups: slug-info
Subject:  TCP/IP between Lispms and Dandelion
Date: 20 Jan 87 19:48:50 GMT
Sender: daemon@potomac.dc.ads.com

I don't think you can easily get the lisp machine to translate Tedit's
font info correctly unless you want to write your own form of
font-hacking stream.

As for character-set translation, unless you define a special host of
type Interlisp-D, there's no way to do it automatically.  It's
probably not a big problem; I remember transferring files between the
two sorts of machines without major problems (though it has been a
while).

If you want to read files from your d-machine from ANY host running
TCP you'll have to load the FTP package into your d-machine.  For the
lispm you'll have to give the d-machine a namespace entry which
indicates that it supports FTP service over TCP.

If you cantinue to have character-set translation problems, why don't
you just store all your files on your unix machine, since you said
that both machines can read files from unix without problems.  There's
no reason to keep any files on he lisp machines anyway, unless you
have a real disk-space crunch on your real servers.

david