Re: lisp machines vs. lisp on other boxes.

Just to put a further twist in the conversation, we've just finished
doing a preliminary analysis of Lucid Vs Franz lisp on a Sun 3/50 (4mb
diskless) and came up with one overriding observarion.  Lucid was
unacceptably slow.  We attempted to compile 2 moderate sized files under
Lucid, and after 30 minutes gave up.  Both files compiled in about 8 min
with Franz.  Secondly, garbage collection appears to be faster although
I don't have any firm numbers in front of me, I do remember that a
garbage collect on a 160 with 16 mb mem (16 meg swap file also) took 5.2
seconds with Franz.

Aaron.  ALarson@HI-Multics