Re: sun and symbolics development environments

Only one disagreement with the performance descriptions posted earlier.
Suns are signficantly slower than Symbolics machines if you are trying to
page over a network.  I've seen simple things go from 50% faster to 6 times
slower in Lucid on a Sun-3 by a small increase in problem size.  It is highly
non-linear, and you best have ALOT of RAM if you don't have a local disk.

Many people at my site have stopped using Lucid on diskless Sun-3's, switching
to Franz instead because it's smaller core image improves their performance
more than the difference in speed of compiled code.  However, most of them
now wished they had bought something else...