workstation speed

-------- Begin Forwarded Message
this is from a discussion on ai.works that bears on the recent debate on this list.

    Date: Wed, 29 Jul 87 08:53 EDT
    From: DON%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET

    For those who don't know, what was formerly called LMI is now Gigamos.
    Gigamos is a Canadian holding company which purchased LMI in May
    (I think the 25th).  They say that they plan to continue development
    on what LMI was developing as well as maintaining the old line.
    They are down to 50 employees.

the current total is around 30. (gigamos has started to hire again, so it may be more
like 40 now) LMI offically died june 11th, with the last employee (the president
handling the liquidation) staying until mid july. TI has contested the sale. The
first LMI alumni picnic is this saturday.

    Concerning the TI Explorer II, its benchmarks are 5x the explorer
    I for the processor.  Because the Explorer I spent almost all its
    time doing paging to a slow disk through a slow controller, TI has
    beefed up the controller and disk for the explorer II.  Whether this
    combination of improvements amounts to a 5x speed-up for the entire
    machine remains to be seen.

TI has improved paging performance with the latest (3.0) release, they have added a
real (temporal/ephemeral...) gc, and generally improved things considerably. No
stunning new features, they spent there time making what they had work. The compiler
is much improved, the code density is higher, and they pay a lot more attention to
optomization in the compiler.

    While I certainly have no hard data, due to the fact that the Explorer
    I was so much slower than even the LMI, I find it hard to believe
    that the II will perform much better than Symbolics 3650.  As we
    all saw, Symbolics has announced their Lisp on a chip which they
    claim contains the microcode and several other things which TI left
    out and had to put on their processor board.  Symbolics is estimating
    a 3x speed up for upgrading 3650 and 3620's and 5x speed up for totally
    new packaging.  This speedup will definitely leave TI in the dust.

the hard numbers: we had an explorerII here for two weeks before AAAI. the simplest
raw benchmark, compiling one of our products ~400k lines of lisp, takes 90 min on a
16mb expII, 4.5 hours on a 4MW (16mb) 3620 (thus comparing apples, as they both have
the same disks) and to fuel the 68k/unix/lucid/etc.. debate, 18 hours on a 8mb apollo
3000.

as mentioned in the message that didn't drop into the bit bucket, the explorer is
faster than a lambda. the lambda however had a much better disk.

    Don Mitchell	  		Don@atc.bendix.com
    Bendix Aero. Tech. Ctr.		Don%atc.bendix.com@relay.cs.net
    9140 Old Annapolis Rd.		(301)964-4156
    Columbia, MD 21045