SUN vs Lisp machine hardware differences?

    Date: Wed, 05 Aug 87 10:52:42 PDT
    From: larus%paris.Berkeley.EDU at berkeley.edu (James Larus)

    One other point that should not be lost in the discussion is that the
    Symbolics address space contains a lot more code and data than an
    equivalent Lisp address space on a Sun.  The Unix system code is
    written in C, which has a smaller object size than the current Sun
    Lisp code.  Also, a number of utilities that are part of the Lisp
    Machine address space (editors, mail programs, etc.) are dynamically
    loaded (i.e., processes), so to be fair, we must count part of the
    Unix file system as being in the "address space."

Do you consider this a bug or a feature?  I consider it a great
feature that I get to alter my editor, mail reader, network code,
whatever, in lisp, rather than in some other language, and an even
greater feature that they can each call parts of each other when
necessary.

I find it ironic that as Lucid is moving in this direction (e.g.
editor in Lisp, multiple processes in one Lisp, etc) Sun went to
Franz.