Re: SUN vs Lisp machine hardware differences?

>From: Daniel L. Weinreb <DLW@ALDERAAN.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

>believe a Sun could have an ephemeral GC if they came out with a new Sun
>workstation with substantial architecture changes; but that would be
>tantamount to building a Lisp machine, in some ways, and so that's
>really not in the domain of this discussion.  None of their products,
>including the new ones, have anything like this.

Why is it necessary to have a different architecture to run emphemeral
GC?  Aren't both Suns and Symbolics machines Turing machines? :-)

Now if you want to talk about speed....well that's another story which
Suns seems very good at addressing.

								Malcolm
P.S.  In spite of the tone I am seriously interested in the answer to
the first question.