talking to micros

This may be an unanswerable question but I'll try anyway.  I have an
environment with Symbolics, Mac II's and PC's with SUNs on the way. Is
there any way to set up a network that allows all of them to talk to
each other.  By talk I mean node to node file transfer and sharing of
resources like laserwriters.  What kind of hardware would I need on
the micros?  3Com, Novell, any other options?

If such an option doesn't exist, what's the best network hardware for
the micros which will leave me the most flexibility.  Thanks.

Chunka
-------