a bug relating to carry-tapes and a question relating copy file

    Date: Fri, 2 Oct 87 07:18 EDT
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>

	Date: Thu, 1 Oct 87 11:35 EDT
	From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind <Qobi@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU>

    [ . . . ]

	In general a really bad problem with carry tapes is that I cant write one from
	one directory and load it up on another directory without redirecting practically
	every file by hand. I want to be able to dump all of my files from MIT,
	where my directory is z:>Qobi> and bring them up at Xerox PARC, where my
	directory is bd:>Siskind>. There is no easy way to do this with either carry tapes,
	distribution tapes,
    It's relatively easy with distribution tapes.  You do it every time you
    load one of our distributions, since the directory names you put it
    under are different than the ones we wrote it from.  You just have
    to use logical pathnames.  Distribution tapes are usually the best
    and recommended solution to this kind of situation

Okay, Bob, I'll bite.  What kind of situation *are* carry tapes
recommended for?  What he was doing was "carrying" a random collection
of files from PARC to MIT.  He wasn't "distributing" a system.

I happen to agree that the carry tape subsystem is horrendous to use.
I've been bitten several times by the lack of reasonable handling of
:wild-inferiors.  I think someone should be assigned to work on the tape
system who has had to transport all the files in a directory sub-tree
from one site to another via tape.