So how *DO* I use distribution tapes instead of carry tapes?

    Date: Fri, 23 Oct 87 11:00 EDT
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>

	Date: Wed, 21 Oct 87 13:07 EDT
	From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind <Qobi@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU>
	O.K. now you have all stumped me. I give up. So tell me how *DO* I write a
	system distribution tape containing all of my files. I want *ALL* of my files
	in *ALL* subdirectories with *ALL* versions. Not just binaries and sources.
	I also don't want to have to redifine either the logical pathname translations
	or the defsystem every time I make a new file or subdirectory.
    There's no need to redefine the logical pathname translations each time,
    and the translations you gave should be fine.
	I incanted the following which failed:

	(fs:set-logical-pathname-host "qobi"
		:physical-host "Zermatt"
		:translations '(("qobi:**;" ">Qobi>**>")))

	(defsystem qobi
		(:default-pathname "qobi:**;")
		(:serial "*.*.*"))

	:Distribute Systems qobi 1

	as well as several other variations.
	HELP! All I want to do is to move files from place to place and to take
	some redundant backups from time to time. Why is this so painfull?
		Jeff

    It turns out that the functionality I was refering to (which was
    called 1dis:defpseudo-system0 in 6.1) is missing in 7.0 and 7.1, and
    being replaced in 7.2.

    I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to create a new SCT module type
    to accomplish the task in the meantime, but it's clearly more trouble
    than you should have to suffer.

In 7.2, 1dis:defpseudo-system0 is known as 1sct:define-distribution-system0.
It looks just like a normal unjournalled 1defsystem0, except that you get
to use wildcards.