explanation of reply re SMBX Chapter 11 rumor

[slug added since Tyson thought it was needed]

    Date: Tue 3 Nov 87 07:58:49-PST
    From: Mabry Tyson <TYSON@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM>

	Date: Mon, 2 Nov 87 21:28 EST
	From: Chris Jones <clj@SAPSUCKER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	Gee, not that I've heard.  I notice that you're in Pennsylvania, but
	somehow I'm unsurprised that "news" of our impending demise arrived
	through Texas.

    May I ask you to explain that comment?  It's not that I am offended by
    your remark, but I've never had any previous indication that people in
    Texas were amongst those that spoke ill of Symbolics.

    Furthermore the fact that his message went through Texas is rather a
    non-sequitar (sp?).  Texas is the host of SLUG just like SAIL is the
    host of various CL mailing lists and SRI is the host of AILIST, etc.
    If someone at Symbolics sent mail to one of those lists, would you
    say that it wasn't surprising that his comments arrived through
    California?

    If your comment indicates a negative opinion of SLUG, I would be
    very much interested in hearing the reasons or opinions.

    (Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think you probably
    should consider sending an explanation or apology to SLUG@R20.UTEXAS.EDU.)
    -------
It had occurred to me that a certain competitor of Symbolics is based in Texas,
and would probably want this rumor to receive widest possible distribution.
I did not intend to convey a negative impression of SLUG, since I don't have a
negative impression of SLUG.  I was aware of the real reason why the message
came through Texas; my apologies for being excessively subtle and insufficiently
humorous.