version numbers (or backups) on non-Symbolics filesystems

Hi--

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get the Lisp machine to
make backups when writing files to a non-lispm host.  I can get
GNU to make backups of foo.tex of the form foo.tex.~1~, etc., but
I don't know how to get the lispm's to do anything similar.
Heck, I'd be content with a backup without generation numbers!

I'm sure that there is a simple way to do it, but I haven't found
it so far.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roy
----
Roy Turner
AI Group, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:   royt@pravda.ics.gatech.edu or royt@gatech.edu
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!royt