Re: version numbers, NFILE, Suns and CHAOSnet

   I think there may be an analogy between having version numbers
or not, and the old fullduplex or not.  The old IBM'ers thought
it was a waste of hardware to have two channels when you only
used one most of the time, and couldn't see the use.  I agree that
version numbers are a poor substitute for an RCS, but, given the
clumsy interface of RCS systems of the day, it's good to have
some versioning on files that don't get into the RCS.

	-- Rich
-------