Hardcopy with TCP/IP? Yes, an afterthought

There are a few things more to do to get the TCP-based hardcopy
to work.  You would probably have stumbled onto these yourself, but
here they are listed for completeness.

1. Add a spooled-printer entry to the remote unix host.  For the
   name, use the printer name of step 2, which should also be a
   printer name known to the Berkeley lpr spooling software (in
   /etc/printcap).

2. Create a printer object in your namespace with that name.
   The software in the previous message was written for a Postscript
   printer (aka LGP2), so the printer type should be
   an LGP2, but you don't have to buy one from Symbolics.  We
   are using Apple Laserwriter II's (both old and new proms)
   as LGP2's with no problems, and this doesn't interfere with normal
   printer usage (after all, the interface *is* lpr).

   If you do have an LGP1 hanging off a Unix machine (I *have*
   seen this), you should take out the command to send the
   Postscript escape sequence "%!" to the stream before returning it.

3. There are two magic variables in the hardcopy package to set, like
   hardcopy:*default-<something>-printer*, which should be set to
   point to the printer created above.  Astonishingly, this is
   documented somewhere.

Well, when I said "no problems" above, I meant almost none.  I don't
particularly like the fonts being used when you print files using the
hardcopy buffer commands (i. e. not screen dumps).  I have tried
changing the fonts in the printer namespace entry, but this seemed to
produce no effect.

Symbolics claims that the difference between an LGP2 and a Laserwriter
II is some additional software they sell.  Maybe this additional
software allows you to change fonts.  I can't imagine it being
anything but a postscript header.  Anybody know?  Anyone "de la
maison" care to respond?  cb