Symbolics terminal emulator works lousy

    Date: Fri, 18 Dec 87 12:57 EST
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

    This is an aspect of the Telnet and TCP protocols.

Barry is exactly right.  Ignore my earlier answer.

    Some of the blame can be put on Symbolics.  When you reboot a Lispm, the
    processes that are running are not killed cleanly, so they can't close
    their connections.  SI:HALT doesn't kill processes because you might
    want to do a Continue from the FEP.

But that's exactly what would happen if you pressed the Halt button on
any computer system.

					 There is no command that I know of
    that does a clean shutdown.

If you do a :Reset Network before you halt, that will definitely close
everything on every network.