Removing Fonts From Files

I am admittedly ignorant on a lot of these type of things, but surely there
must be a way to remove font control characters from my ZMACS files.  We
do code development on the symbolics, while this code must also run on the
Sun (under Lucid).  I am preferential to using character styles, but find
myself editing them right back out after transferring the files to the sun.

What I would like to do is maintain my "pretty" version on the symbolics,
and dump the "non-pretty" version to the sun when necessary, by simply
executing m-X "Write File <filename> With Character Styles Removed", or
something.  You get the idea.

Does this capability exist already?

dan haug
haug@austin.lockheed.com