Re: Static Space filling up

    Date: Sun, 24 Jan 88 13:34:05 PST
    From: luria@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Marc Luria)

	The problem cannot be compiled-function-area, since that is not
	reclaimed by full-gc.  Compiled functions can be reclaimed using the
	:Optimize World command.  Why don't you use the ROOM function and find
	out for yourself what areas are filling up?

    I did check, and it seems the main culprit is STACK-AREA
    ?
    This has gone from 2912K used a couple weeks ago, to
    6848K today.  Whereas the type of other regions is List or Struc
    New of Static, the type of the stack region is Stack.  I assume
    that is not garbage collecting the stack space of processes
    which have been killed.  Is there a way to gc this area?

Stacks cannot currently be GC'd for various reasons.  The bad reason is
that nobody has ever needed stack GC, and the half-good one is that it's
fairly difficult to implement it efficiently.

I'm curious as to why you are creating so many stacks.  I rather doubt
that this is due to Symbolics software.  If you are creating processes,
coroutines, or stack groups and throwing them away, I suggest that you
consider using a resource.

If you want, do (si:describe-area sys:stack-area) and mail me the results.
It would probably be best not to bore all of SLUG with the printout.