Running Programs on Non-Chaos Net Hosts

Does anyone know if the following operations are (1) possible; and (2)
if so, how they may be done?

(1) Is it possible to open up a connection to a non-LISPM,
non-Chaosnet host and run a program on it?  (I can figure out how to
do this for Chaosnet hosts, but I haven't found a way to do this for
hosts not on the Chaosnet.)  The machine in question would be running
UNIX, probably 4.2 BSD.

(2) (1) being possible, is it possible to get the value of the exit
status ($status) variable set by various progams on the UNIX host?

-30-
Bob