HP LaserJet problems

    Date: 13 April 1988 1644-PST (Wednesday)
    From: trumble@nprdc.arpa (Andy Trumble)

    Does anyone have any ideas on whats going on and how to
    fix the following problem?

    I have a 3640 running 7.1 which is connected to a
    HP LaserJet series II printer and when I do a Hardcopy
    File I get a document that has funny characters
    (ie something like a 1/2 sized l with an accent over it)
    where blank lines should be. Everything else in the file
    (execpt EOF) prints out ok.

    The printer object in the namespace has the following settings:

    Type*: ASCII
    Interface: Serial
    Interface Options: UNIT 1  BAUD 9600  PARITY NIL
		       NUMBER-OF-DATA-BITS 8
		       ASCII-CHARACTERS t
		       XON-XOFF-PROTOCOL t
    Format: ASCII

I saw a similar problem at a customer site.  A small amount of investigation
showed that even though the serial stream attempts to convert characters to
ascii, it isn't (always) succeeding.  The software involved is significantly
improved in 7.2, though I haven't had access to an HP Laserjet series II
printer and 7.2 at the same time to verify that it actually works in 7.2.

    Thanks for any help,
    Andy Trumble

    Trumble@NPRDC