Flavor bug

    Date: Fri, 20 May 88 13:09:38 pdt
    From:     ragosa%psyche@BOEING.COM (Rich Ragosa - BH AI Center - (215) 591-4295)

    The following code causes a crash to the FEP when compiled. A fellow
    employee discovered it and asked me to forward it to BUG-LISPM and SLUG.
    It fails under Genera 7.1. The reference to LENGTH is the problem.

    ;;; -*- Mode: LISP; Syntax: Common-lisp; Package: USER; Base: 10 -*-

    ; Flavor bug. The reference to LENGTH (a CommonLISP function) seems to
    ; be the culprit. Try to compile this (Note: Prepare for an irrevokable
    ; crash to the FEP).

    (defflavor test ((length nil)) ()
      (:writable-instance-variables (length length)))

I presume that you at least got a redefinition warning for LENGTH when
you did this?  If not, that is a bug.  However, if you did get a
redefinition warning, and told it to go ahead, then the fact that you
lost is not a bug.  LENGTH is a critical function, and redefining it is
bound to cause you to lose.