Chaosnet and Wollongong IP/TCP coexistence

    Date: Thu, 19 May 88 20:26:57 -0400
    From:     mdean@VAX.BBN.COM

    I'm involved with a project which is still required to use
    Chaosnet on a VAX 11/785 running VMS 4.6 (converting our
    client's production application to use DECnet or IP/TCP is
    unfortunately not a viable option in the near future).
    We've recently tried to install Wollongong IP/TCP (Rel 3.0,
    with the shared DEUNA driver) on the same system, replacing
    a MICOM/Interlan IP/TCP implementation which worked fine but
    is incompatible with other recently added software.  Things
    work properly when running the Wollongong software by
    itself, but not when Chaosnet is also running: Wollongong's
    enet<->inet process instantly aborts with the message
    "sys$qio setmode|startup: bad parameter value" if Chaosnet
    is started first, and Chaos connections fail if Wollongong
    is started first.  Does anyone else have experience with
    similar problems or configurations?

If you are able to spend some money to solve your problems, I have heard
nothing but good reports about SRI-MultiNet from SRI International.  It
allows you to run Chaos, IP/TCP, PUP, and DECNet at the same time from
the same controller.  It also has a number of additional features for
mail reading and sending.