problems opening temporary window

I am trying to create a window of the same sort used by the file
system in the rename command in order to read in a file name.  I am
trying to use the following code.

(defun getname ()
  (let ((window (tv:make-window 'tv:temporary-typeout-window)))
    (send window :select)
    (read window)
    (send window :deactivate)))

This code fails catastrophically, forcing me to reboot the machine
each time.  It gives me an error message saying that the screen window
could not handle the :draw-bottom-line message.

Anyone know how a window of this sort can be opened and used?

Greg Fisher
fisher@ctt.bellcore.com