Problems restoring 7.1 worlds to a G machine...

I'm trying to restore several 7.1 worlds and microcodes to a disk,
from tapes I ve created myself from the fep-tape utility vailable via
select activity fep-tape.  According to symbolics these tapes should
be equivelent to the distribution tapes that I receive with my system.

When I use "disk restore" with these tapes from the FEP I get the
following error:

Error:  Bad cart tape format -- exiting

When I use "disk restore" on the original 7.1 distribution tapes I get the
following error:

No data and exception lit; I can't handle this yet

The machine I'm restoring the data to is a 3650 G-machine with a
removable T306 disk drive.  The machine I created the tapes on was a
3670.  I don't think that should make any difference however.

I'm pretty sure the tape drive is okay because my backups verify
properly from the 70's and the 50's tape drive.

Any ideas?

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

"Hi... My name is Hobbes.  I'm the product of a malicious 5-year old's
twisted and destructive imagination.  Would YOU like to be my friend?"