Disk ECC errors

We have had some such problems, although I think the typical rate is a
bit lower than you (Mabry) have experienced.  One 3600 with an eagle has
had a continual problem in Rel 7.1 with irrecoverable errors during
dynamic GC, which the Symbolics service people have been unable to
repair in many, many attempts.  It seems that some L machines with
combinations of multiple disks (like this one, which has two smaller SMD
disks - 131072 total blocks each) have much higher than normal error
rates, and they are often hard to permanently fix.