Emacs on Symbolics serial-terminal port

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 88 08:47 EDT
From: Len Moskowitz <Len@HEART-OF-GOLD>
Subject: Emacs on Symbolics serial-terminal port
To: "3077::IN%\"slug@warbucks.ai.sri.COM\""@TSD1

MKP@genevieve.cs.utexas.EDU"  "Martin Purvis" asked:

 > Has anyone connected an ANSI terminal to the serial port of a Symbolics
 > and managed to do some sort of full-screen editing from the terminal?

We tried using a serial terminal under release 6, but haven't tried it under
7.x.  The x3.64 functions were hopelessly buggy.  At the time, Symbolics
software support recommended that if we must use the serial terminal, we
shouldn't use the :x3.64 keyword.  In straight glass terminal mode it worked
tolerably well for input and output but wasn't useful for editing.  We did
manage to hook a Hayes modem to it, and I was able to call in, upload and
download files, and evaluate forms.

Len Moskowitz

moskowitz@bendix.com (CSnet)                       Allied-Signal Aerospace
moskowitz%bendix.com@relay.cs.net (ARPAnet)        Bendix Test Systems Division
arpa!relay.cs.net!bendix.com!moskowitz (uucp)      Mail code 4/8
moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Alternate ARPAnet)      Teterboro, NJ 07608